Setting my Fitness Goals
Sometime back in 2020, in the midst of the pandemic, I turned to my wife and asked her “what would you do if I said I wanted to start running?”
And now, almost two years later, I run four miles nearly five times a week. I’ve bought a pair of running shoes. I’ve lost over forty pounds. And my goals? Well, they keep changing.
It’s more “updating” then moving goalposts. In fact - the overarching goal remains the same: be healthy for my kids. I want to be able to keep up with them.
But be healthy for my kids - while a worthy goal - is not measurable. A few goals I’ve set (and made) include:
- reach 20% body fat (at least according to my scale)
- remain under 225 lbs (I’m now around 208 lbs)
- Run a 5k (I’ve ran six this year - and even one 10k!)
- daily run to a 5-minute walk, 40-minute run, 5-minute walk (I only did this once - but I did it!)
- continue strength training
So what should I look to do next?
I did something that probably shouldn’t be done - I searched “ideal male body measurements” online.
Keeping in mind that these numbers might not be realistist, I came across the following numbers for a “perfect male body”:
- Waist - 45% to 47% of height
- Shoulders - 1.618 times waist
- Arms - same as neck
- Chest - 10 to 12 inches greater than waist
Since I’m 6’4” - or 76 inches - that puts my “perfect” measurements at:
- Waist - 34.2 to 35.7 inches
- Shoulders - 55.3 to 57.8 inches
- Chest - 44.2 inches to 47.7 inches
Rounding the numbers and selecting an easier-to-reach point and I get:
- Waist - 36 inches
- Chest - 44 inches
- Shoulder - 55 inches
- Arm - same as neck
Where am I Now?
Here are the measurements I took on a few days ago on October the 23rd:
- Waist - 39 inches
- Hip - 38 inches
- Chest - 39 inches
- Neck - 16 inches
- Right bicep - 13.5 inches
- Right thigh - 23 inches
- Calf - 17 inches
Obviously that’s more measurements than in the goals, and it’s also missing the “shoulders” measurement. But this is giving me a direction to go to.
What fitness goals do you set for yourself? Do my goals make sense? Comment below!